I am so thrilled to be your child's teacher this year and look forward to guiding your child through many rewarding learning adventures.
This week we are very busy establishing routines and expectations, and reviewing common prerequisite skills in math and language. Speaking of the latter subjects, we will begin our school year focusing on recount and descriptive writing strategies,fix-up and repairing comprehension techniques in reading, and place value and building, comparing and deconstructing numbers.
1. All basic school supplies will be provided to you child. Should you feel inclined, a box of tissues, zip-lock bags or plastic spoons or forks would be greatly appreciated.
2. Agendas: Students will write their homework and important dates in their agendas. I will check and sign each day, therefore, please feel free to write to me or request a call through the use of the agenda.
3. Scholastic Book Orders: These will go home each month starting later this week. Participation is optional. If you wish to place an order, kindly write a cheque to Scholastic Canada Ltd.
This week the homework is actually for parents (sorry). I am sending home a short questionnaire about your child.
Students' Homework Tasks will consist of reading/writing tasks in Word Wizard which will go home next week. This assignment will go home on Tuesday and be due the following Monday. Later a math game/investigation component will also go home on Tuesdays. Our goal is that evenings be about family time so we would like to provide the extra time to best accommodate your personal schedules and allow for each day to begin with well-rested and happy children.
Students are encouraged to read 15 mins each evening.
A Friday Journal will go home each Friday. This is an opportunity for parents to read their child's recount and feelings about the activities they have completed through the week and then to write a short response. More details are written inside the front cover including some response starters.The Friday Journal is asked to be back in class the following Monday.
5. Learning Opportunities Outside the Classroom:
(i) Stonehaven Manor visits every three weeks will commence again this year. The start date is to be determined. This opportunity will be both for the Grade Threes and the Fours. Our Fours will be our mentors in introducing us to the Seniors and discussing the rewarding opportunities they have experienced last year. Every three weeks we dress appropriately and walk over and back. Duration of each visit is less than one hour.
(ii) Swim to Survive Program for the Grade Threes is also a go. Our dates are December 2nd, 9th, and 16th. Times to be determined. The Fours will be participating in a partner activity with another class for these three times. Parent volunteers for the Gr. 3 Ministry sponsored program is needed, particularly a dad to assist with supervision in the change rooms. If you can volunteer for any of these dates, please let me know. Much thanks.
6. Star of the Week- As part of our Family Life and definitely my class philosophy, I would like to provide your child the extra opportunity to share information about themselves through a presentation of photos, mementos, drawings, etc. Each week starting the four week of September, one student will be randomly chosen to present to their classmates. The format of this presentation can be informally sharing photos and mementos brought to school that week. Students may also copy photos, etc. on a memory stick or copy them into their Family Life Folder through their student account.
Students will be asked to bring or have their folder or stick ready for Thursday of each week. Then classmates create a booklet acknowledging the many ways "Our Star Shines". Each student is randomly chosen through a draw each Thursday. This has created great excitement in the past and has been successful as children were given the opportunity to decline if they know they are going to be away or have a busy week with extra curricular activities. I will talk more about it on Program Night and am definitely open to the idea of choosing names ahead of time for the duration of the year if you prefer. I will also be the first "Star" as it gives students a chance to get to know me better and models a risk-free example that they can follow during their sharing time.
I have participated in this activity for most of my teaching years and regardless of grade, it has always been such a hit with my students!!!
To be environmentally conscientious, I will post agenda and classroom happenings on this blog. Information is updated at least on a weekly basis.