I am so thrilled to be your child's teacher this year and look forward to guiding your child through many rewarding learning adventures.
I am also so happy to be working with Mme. Srutek this year. She will be your child's energetic and dedicated French teacher. I look forward to planning many English/French activities with Mme. Srutek.
This week we are very busy establishing routines and expectations, and reviewing common prerequisite skills in math and language. Speaking of the latter subjects, we will begin our school year focusing on recount and descriptive writing strategies,fix-up and repairing comprehension techniques in reading, and place value and building, comparing and deconstructing numbers.
1. All basic school supplies will be provided to you child. Should you feel inclined, a box of tissues, or plastic spoons or forks would be greatly appreciated.
2. Agendas: Students will write their homework and important information in their agendas. I will check and sign each day, Therefore, please feel free to write to me or request a call through the use of the agenda.
3. Scholastic Book Orders: These will go home each month starting next week. Participation is optional. If you wish to place an order, kindly write a cheque to Scholastic Canada Ltd. or you may pay on line.
This week the homework is actually for parents (sorry). I am sending home a short questionnaire about your child.
Homework will be discussed during Program Night, (September 12th 6 pm).The Grade 3 learning team firmly believes that evenings are about family time. We encourage reading together each evening and when homework is to be assigned, it is our intention that it is meaningful and scheduled effectively. This is to provide the extra time that best accommodates your personal schedules and allows for each day to begin with well-rested and happy children.
5. Learning Opportunities Outside the Classroom:
(i) Stonehaven Manor visits every three weeks will commence again this year. The start dates will begin with Ms. Dougan's class on September 27th at 9:30 . This opportunity will be both for the Grade Threes and the Two/Three class. Every three weeks we will dress appropriately and walk over and back. Duration of each visit is less than one hour. Parent or grandparent volunteers to walk with us would be greatly appreciated.
(ii) Swim to Survive Program More information is pending. Parent volunteers will be requested for the Gr. 3 Ministry sponsored program, particularly fathers to assist with supervision in the male change room.
6. St. James promotes “litterless” lunches. All lunch items are also asked to be NUT FREE due to life-threatening allergies.
To be environmentally conscientious, I will post agenda and classroom happenings on this blog and from my twitter account. Information is updated at least on a weekly basis.