Students will chose and work on an Oral Presentation for next week.
Details: (Note will go home Dec. 5th)-Christmas Story Oral Presentation:
We all have at least one, that treasured Christmas Story that we could read over and over again and NEVER be sick of hearing. Well, Christmas is a time for sharing and we are asking our amazing students as a finale to 2016, to share their favourite Christmas Story. Some class time will be provided to read and prepare their oral presentation. Here’s our plan:
1. Choose a favourite Christmas story by Dec. 8th. Students are asked to write the title and author on the section attached. If they are having trouble choosing one from home, they may borrow one from the library (Dec. 7th) or from Mrs. Lewis.
2. Students are asked to read their book many times over the next week to familiarize themselves with the main/important parts. They are also asked to bring that book to school by Thursday, Dec. 9th with a Christmas bag (or decorate a paper bag) that suits the book they are reading.
3. During the week, students are to collect or 3-5 objects/items that remind them of a story element (the character, the setting, theme (author’s mes sage), or a connection). Objects can be drawings or printed words or phrases that match the theme of the story. This will be explained further in class and a visual shown to assist creative minds.
4. On Thursday, Dec. 9th students will write a few sentences on index cards explaining how each object/item connects with your book.
5. The main focus is the oral presentation portion which will take place each day from the 12th to 17th. Individual dates will be written in your child's agenda. Students are asked to leave their book, items, and bag here at school but may bring home their index cards to practise their presentation. Some practice time will be provided in class.
1.Introduce the title and the author of your book.
2.Give a brief explanation of what the book is about and why you have chosen it.
3. Display and explain each item in your Christmas bag and how it relates to your book.
4. Be prepared to answer questions from your classmates.
Success Criteria for the Presentation
1. Be clear and stay on topic when speaking. For example, if you are discussing one item from your bag, complete your explanation before you begin with the next item.
2. Speak in full sentences. For example: The book I have chosen is ~.It is written by~ and illustrated by~. I have chosen this book because~. In this bag, I have a collection of items that I believe connect to my book. The first item I would like to share is ~.It is important in the story because~.
3. Speak clearly and with expression.
4. Look at your audience when speaking.
5. Most importantly have fun and show your love for one of your favourite stories.
Other activities this week are:
1. Interpreting and determining missing data in bar graphs and creating sorting rules in Venn Diagrams
2. Finishing our Descriptive Paragraphs on Christmas Scenes.
3. Science Review and Check-up on Thursday- Soils (Gr. 3) and Rocks and Minerals (Gr. 4)
4. Music- Practice Christmas Song
5. Introduction to Persuasive Writing
6. Religion- Advent Divisional Mini-Liturgy- Mon.
7. Family Life- Star Presentation Student #7- Thurs.
8. Math- Measurement introduction- Time and Money
9. Gym- Christmas Games- Swim to Survive on Friday
10. Friday Journal